1. Denial: You dig your heels in and refuse to accept that something has changed.
2. Anger: You are angry at people or institutions, at the audacity of life, or God for handing us something different from what we want.
3. Bargaining: You try to make a deal with life, the universe, God or a higher power, hoping to get what you want.
4. Depression: You feel that everything is futile and you sense your underlying helplessness.
5. Acceptance: Often only after we have exhausted each of the former responses are we ready to accept that change has occurred.